Dogs can love human food, but some foods are potentially fatal to them. Learn more about things dogs can’t eat with our handy list.
We love our little furry friends and we wouldn’t want anything to happen to them. But keeping dogs out of harm’s way also means staying educated about what they can and can’t eat.
An innocent slip of food under the dinner table could land your dog in the animal hospital if you’re not careful. There are thousands of pet poisoning cases each year, and many could be avoided if owners took the time to understand the things dogs shouldn’t eat.
Read on, and we’ll give you a rundown of the seven common food items that you should avoid letting your pooch munch on.
You might think of avocado as one of the healthy additions to your breakfast, lunch, or dinner. But these health benefits will not extend to your canine friend– in fact, the situation might be quite the opposite. The pit, skin and leaves of avocados contain Persin, a toxin that often causes vomiting and diarrhea in dogs
Avocados actually contain a toxin called persin that is safe for humans but very dangerous for dogs. When a dog eats persin, fluid can fill their lungs and chest. This can make it very difficult for a dog to breathe, which can lead to respiratory problems or even suffocation.
As such, it’s important to keep any part of an avocado away from your dog.
- Coffee and Tea
You probably need a little bit of your favorite caffeinated drink to get going in the morning. But it’s the last thing your dog needs as part of their diet.
Caffeine will speed the heart rate and nervous system of a dog up just as it does to us. But they may also experience extreme diarrhea, dehydration, loss of bladder control, and vomiting.
An excess amount of caffeine can lead to more extreme problems like an abnormal heart rhythm. Even a few slurps of coffee for a dog can prove to be seriously damaging to their health, so you’ll want to make sure your mugs are far out of their reach.
- Grapes and Raisins
Grapes are the perfect bite-size snack that you think may be healthy and great for your dog. But the opposite is really true. Grapes can actually be quite toxic for a canine and may even cause the failure of the kidneys.
Grapes and raisins have proved to be very toxic for dogs no matter the dog’s breed, sex, or age. In fact, grapes are so toxic that they can lead to acute sudden kidney failure.
The toxic nature of grapes is still being studied, so you should ensure that your dog eats no quantity of grapes just to be safe. If you notice your dog fatigued or urinating less after eating a grape or raisin, you should contact a professional immediately. This behavior may be a sign of kidney failure.
Professionals like those at Shuler Veterinary Clinic can help your canine back to health after eating toxic foods like grapes.
4 Macadamia nuts: These nuts are very toxic and most poisonous foods for dogs. Macadamia nuts, which is a part of the Protaceae family, can cause increased body temperature, inability to walk, lethargy, and vomiting.
5 Xylitol-containing products:
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener in sugar-free candy and gum. It is extremely toxic for dogs.
Many foods and dental products contain xylitol. Some commonly used products that may contain xylitol include:
- Chewing gum
- Peanut butter
- Sugar-free candy
- Sugar free breath mints
- Fruit drinks
- Jellies and jams
- Baked goods
- Sugar-free puddings and Jello
- Over the counter vitamin supplements
6 Chocolate: Chocolate contains methylxanthines , which are stimulants that stop a dog’s metabolic process.methylxanthines is very toxic
7 Onions: Onions contain an ingredient called thiosulphate which is toxic to dogs.
8 Fatty and fried foods: Just as fatty and fried foods are not good for Homo Sapiens , they are even worse for own ,canine family member, dog.
Things Dogs Shouldn’t Eat
It’s important to understand the diet of the animal that you love and care for. Knowing the things dogs shouldn’t eat can help you avoid an emergency situation.
Dogs have more sensitive stomachs than we do, and foods we may think are harmless could cause serious damage.
Need more animal facts and advice? Check out our blog for more.